A fresh idea

Saturday, March 6, 2010

A couple of weeks ago, I attended the Flux 2010 Trend Review, and didn't even share what I experienced with you guys. When I got home that day, I sat in awe of all the speakers that were there and how good I felt about everything, but didn't really reflect on what it means that I was there and what I was meant to get from it.

I remember furiously taking notes from each talk, but never went back to read them and give them a context in my everyday existence. It's only now that I'm like, WTF? My favourite speaker of the day, architect, Mokena Makeka, who is one of the most eloquent speakers I've ever heard, kept repeating the importance of Experiencing something, Reflecting on your experience and then Producing either an opinion or a world view from that experience. It's ironic how I didn't do that that very day or even the day after, but here I am on a Saturday afternoon a few weeks later, going back on scribbled notes.

One of the things he said that stuck with me is "Copy and Paste has replaced fresh ideas". This received a lot of wide-eyed nods from the audience, including myself because I realised that I'm guilty of that very thing, roughly speaking. I'm an insecure writer, like most and am always in search of ways to improve my writing. I've become really good at cutting and pasting from webpages in my research, stringing different pieces of information from different sources together, editing here and there and only glazing that cake of information with my opinion. It's meant to be the other way round. Earlier in the week I was doing research about good blogging, and what stuck out the most was:

Having Your Own World View!

And being able to translate that into words, information and something of interest or disgust to somebody.

I realised that my view's been sheepishly hiding behind pretty pictures of gorgeous clothes or great pictures that somebody else took. This blog is not old or ugly, but it can be forgettable because I'm not really saying anything about anything and I don't think I'm making a difference in anyone's life or opinion. If putting this out there is a mistake then fuck it, I won't be the first or the last to share TMI.


It stops here! There's so much more I want to say, but I hate blogs that are just somebody's long ass personal rants about bullshit.

0 comments:

Post a Comment