The Bird Cage

Tuesday, February 22, 2011

While every other fashionista was at Joburg Fashion Week or what some are calling Just Fucking Wait because of David Tlale's epic show on the iconic Nelson Mandela Bridge bridge (read Dion Chang's account here and Janine Jellar's here,) I was taking a bit of a breather from the fashion and watching it from Twitter and my couch.  I had an unforgettable lunch at The Birdcage, a really beautiful restaurant in Saxonwold, one that's that nice because not many people know about it.   They make the a really good chicken pie (second to Cape Town's Birds Cafe), an assortment of salads with fruit and veges that taste like they are picked from God's very hands.  And their meat? Let's just say their carpaccio and salmon justify why humans eat meat. I was there for my friend Palesa's birthday lunch and was too stuffed to order dessert which came in the most delicious crockery! There's nothing better than eating good food, surrounded by beautiful people and perfect (sun) lighting! I recommend it! It's on the corner of Jan Smuts and Cotswolds I think! Follow your nose!

The birthday girl looking unsurprisingly styilsh as uzh!

LOVE the Chinese posters movie posters above the food!
Nom Nom Nom
The tea packaging!
These 70s mirrors remind me of the Owl House
Is this a Tretchikoff? 

5 comments:

Unknown said...

OMG! A friend of mine hosted a little lunch there in December last year and I was blown away. We always pass this little heaven on Jan Smuts not knowing how wonderful a place it is. Very hidden and awesome!

Milisuthando Bongela said...

I kinda like the fact that not many people know about it.

Mbabazi said...

the food looks good and bd girl sure looked pweety.nice blog

Unknown said...

Hey Millib, someone sent me ur blog link and I love it. I have just moved to Joburg from Maputo and brought some Mozambican accessories we want to launch in Joburg. We are not familiar with Joburg fashion scene and would very much like your opinion on few things. If you don't mind, please send me your contact details to: pilipilidesigns@gmail.com. If you are on facebook, look up Pili Pili Designs.

I look forward to hearing from you.
Regards,
Fatuma

Milisuthando Bongela said...

Hi Fatuma

Thanks for your message, I checked out your designs. Love the alice bands and laptop bags! We can set up a meeting in early March because I am opening a shop and looking for new quirky things to stock. Maybe you can bring me your samples and fabrics and we will take it from there? Email me direct at mili@mememe.co.za

Thanks, looking forward to it!

Post a Comment