Introducing Malée

Monday, April 16, 2012

Anybody who knows me well knows that I like to belt out a tune whenever the opportunity presents itself, which is usually when I am alone in my room or in the car or in my office.  I know this is totally wack but I have a quasi anthem that I sing everyday.  It comes with a fist clench and subsequent up and down elbow to hand motion that is accompanied by the appropriate facial expression.  Lol this has nothing to do with this actual blog post but anyway. So the song I sing is For Today I am a Boy by Anthony and the Johnsons. The lyrics go ''One day I'll grow up, I'll be a beautiful woman, One day I'll grow up, I'll be a beautiful girl.  But for today I am a child, for today I am a boy''.  I truly believe that I am still very much a child, let alone a real woman.

I recently started using a new range of locally produced beauty products by a company called Malée.  One day late last year, a really beautiful woman came to Mememe Joburg with her equally beautiful friend.  They were looking around the store when I struck up a conversation with one of them.  She introduced herself as Zeze Oriaikh, a young Nigerian woman who owns a company that manufactures beauty products from natural ingredients, in South Africa for the South African and International market.  We exchanged business cards and she told me that she is opening a store in Hyde Park in 2012.  I lost the business card and couldn't remember the name of her company.  I spent an entire afternoon trying to trace it and her and nothing.

A few weeks ago, her people contacted me and said they would like me to attend the launch of the store in Hyde Park on 3 May.  I was so excited I somehow ended up asking them to send me some of the product to test out so that I could blog about it.  Woman oh woman is it a pleasure to use them.  They sent me marvelous citrus Solid Perfume, something you apply onto your skin like you would that non stick dry deodorant; an Ochre candle that smells like pure heaven and you can use the melted candle as a rich moisturizer; and a citrus cuticle balm.  Again, anyone who knows me knows that I have no nails because I've bitten them since I walked out of my mother's womb - I have never had my finger nails reach the end of my finger nails.  Today, two weeks later, I am a proud former nail-biter and my nails are looking stronger in their new form of existence.  Is that what cuticle balm is for? If not, it's definitely been a motivation for me to grow them and grow up.  




I'm happy to be supporting a fellow young woman doing her own thing in business but more than that, I believe in this product. The packaging is not as intimidating as say, Jo Malone or other expensive products, it's approachable, clean and very fresh as are the actual products.  They have an array of products ranging from skin to bath to fragrance and hair.  I can't wait to get their lip balm and hair products when the store opens on 3 May. 

Check out their website here and if you're looking for a way to treat yourself while supporting local, head on over to Hyde Park on the 4th of May, that will be their first day of business to the public.  Unfortunately I won't be able to attend the launch on the 3rd as I will be travelling.  

1 comments:

Akona Ndungane said...

I'm sold. Mainly because of 'approachable'

Post a Comment