The fashion week that was!

Monday, May 30, 2011

It's exactly been a week since I last posted anything and initially I was like, ok cool I'm getting a little break from my third j.o.b so I didn't mind. But came Wednesday when I couldn't do it anymore because blogger was down, I almost had a breakdown when I was unable to "express myself"' per se.  But now it's back and here's what I was up to last week.

On Wednesday afternoon, a very excitable Sthandiwe Kgoroge and Simphiwe Dana came to Mememe after Simphiwe had been in a Fair Lady shoot in which an artist was paired with a designer and she wore Black Coffee.  They stayed until the shop closed and we even had a chance to have a glass of wine after.

The point of this picture was to showcase the beautiful aliceband that Simphiwe saw at the Two shop. 


Then Thursday night was very exciting, I was invited to an exhibition of Issey Miyake's origami inspired clothing (not even sure if one can call it clothing) - incredible pieces that looked like art works when displayed flat but once lifted and shaped, an intricate piece of art could transform into a delicate top, handbag or hat.  The exhibition was at David Krut Gallery and was hosted by Marie Claire magazine. 








In true Japanese style, guests were treated to delicious Sushi while we enjoyed the exhibition.  If you look closely at the beautiful pictures taken by Steve Tanchel, the model is wearing what is on the display table, so that's the transformation these intricately designed pieces make.  The proceeds for this exhibition will go to Tsunami victims so it's not just for the sake of it.  This theme is perfectly suited to Marie Claire's current issue, the Green Issue guest edited by Vivienne Westwood with Vanessa Paradis on the cover.   I'm a packaging freak so when I first saw this issue at the airport last week amongst all the others, the fact that it was in an envelope instead of the usual plastic cover, I was immediately drawn to it.

On the same evening, I attended an exhibition on South African Designer clothing and Architecture at Arts on Main.  This exhibition was organsied by a girl who is a full time lawyer by day and who was doing this as a passion project on the side.  She pulled it off beautifully, with pieces from some top South African designers such as David Tlale, Black Coffee, Abigail Betz and Two.  There wasn't much of an architecture aspect to the exhibition which was a little disappointing because the concept could be taken so far, but it was a well attended event and nobody was complaining about the free Grey Goose cocktails.


Fashion blogger and stylist, Thithi Ntetha on the right and her taller, younger sister. 
I'm not sure whose dress is whose because I didn't see any placards next to any of the exhibited dresses






Mac De Gorgeous
Tholi Tshabalala

2 comments:

Sabu said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Sabu said...

oh but u must love ur life!
x
(was a typo in the previous one)

Post a Comment